earning my ears at Disney's Magic Kingdom

feeling like a 5 year old, even for a short time

Thursday, April 21, 2011

eye heart the i pad

Yes, it's true, I love my i pad....I am still using the first i Pad and am still amaze at all it can do for someone who is blind or visually impaired. What really surprises me, however, are that the teachers with whom I work. They are still are not aware of these accessibility features that the i Pad has to offer. Even better these features come built into the device, that means no extra software to buy!

VoiceOver as you can guess speaks to you telling you what is on the screen. It is controlled by one's finger(s) to touch the screen in order initiate a command- ask me about the split tap or the three finger right flick sometime!

For the low vision user there is also zoom which also uses one's fingers to enlarge or move around the image on the screen and the white on black to change the contrast. The only thing about the white on black is that you can't change the colors...what you see is what you get.

The best part of the i pad is the blue tooth capabilities that connects to a wireless braille display. I had a chance to use this feature a couple of weeks ago and I was so thrilled..it also reminded me that I need a refresher course in grade two braille-that's another story. If you want to use the i pad and the refreshable braille display, check out Chase Crispin, a 5th grade student who is blind. With the assistance of his teacher of the visually impaired, LeAnne MacDonald, they made a you tube video on how to use the i phone and Refresh a Brailler 18,  the link is
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjQSU88j1kj&feature=related.
Let me just say, prepared to be dazzled! This young man is an excellent teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment